Thursday 23 January 2014

Gal Friday - Sugar Starr

Sugar Starr.
Photograph by Annebelle
This week’s Gal Friday is arguably the blondest bombshell in Canberra’s burlesque scene. Performing burlesque in Canberra since 2010, she took out Kitten of the Year 2012 with her Bearded Lady routine. As gracious off stage as she is on.  The sweet and sparkling; Sugar Starr!

What got you started in Burlesque?

 I have always loved to dance, although have never had any formal training. I danced in ...high school Rock Eisteddfods. After uni I got the urge to get back into dance. I tried a few different classes, belly dancing, tribal dance etc, although I missed the performance part of it. Someone told me about Burlesque, and having always had a fascination with vintage glamour, I signed up. The thing I loved about it most was the opportunity to perform and get creative.

Who is your Burlesque Idol?

 Dixie Evans, the 'Marilyn Monroe of Burlesque' is my number one idol, rest in peace sweet Dixie. However, I also have a really quirky reason for loving Lili St Cyr. There is this story that I like to believe is true: Lili St Cyr taught Marilyn Monroe how to bleach her hair. I read about this in the book 'Norma Jean', by Ted Jordan. Ted was Norma Jean's boyfriend at the time, and he tells the story of Norma Jean going to one of Lili St Cyr's burlesque shows. Apparently Norma Jean became so obsessed with the show and so obsessed with Lili that she made him take her to every show, matinée AND evening while it was on. Ted says this drove him crazy, but Norma Jean was determined. She was also determined to talk to Lili and made her way back stage. It was apparently here that Lili and Norma Jean became friends and Lili said she would show Marilyn how to dye her hair the same as hers. As for Ted, he went on to marry Lili St Cyr!

What is your favourite act to perform?

 'The Bearded Woman'. This act to me speaks of pure vulnerability and letting that be seen. I still find it emotional to perform.

What’s the weirdest thing that’s ever happened to you at a show?

 Someone asking Carlotta to move her case over in the backstage area. I'll never forget the look on Carlotta's face.
 
What is your favourite thing about burlesque in Canberra?

That its growing! What I love about burlesque in Canberra is that we are helping women express themselves exactly as they are. We are helping them embrace their curves or their straight lines. The more women that can experience the power in accepting themselves exactly as they are and then getting on stage and showing that!...the better this world will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment