Saturday 18 January 2014

That's Not Burlesque


Burlesque – pronunciation: bəːˈlɛsk
NOUN
1 an absurd or comically exaggerated imitation of something, especially in a literary or dramatic work; a parody: a novel which is a burlesque of the literary life [mass noun]: the argument descends into music-hall burlesque
2 a variety show, typically including striptease: [as modifier]: burlesque clubs

VERB
parody or imitate in an absurd or comically exaggerated way:
‘a mock-heroic farce that burlesques the affectations of Restoration heroic drama’*

 
This post has been tumbling around in my head (and some peoples ears I know) for a long time.  One of my personal bugbears is when I hear anyone within the burlesque community opine ‘That’s not burlesque’.  Burlesque is a broad and evolving art form and I personally feel that it is presumptive and precious to try and pin it down to any kind of narrow definition. 

The other huge problem I have is that it is so often used to denigrate the hard work of others who might otherwise prove to be lively and interesting members of the burlesque community.  Most Frequently I hear it about the following forms:

1/. Jazz/Cabaret Burlesque

The majority of people outside our community picture one of two things when they hear ‘Burlesque’; Dita Von Teese or this:

Show Me How YOU Burlesque

Whatever you want to call it; Pussycat Dolls Burlesque, Cabaret Burlesque, Xtina Burlesque.  What it is, is recognisable.  It’s big, it’s sparkly, it’s escapist; something it shares with the burlesque theatres of the great depression.  Really if the majority of the population recognise it as ‘burlesque’ who are we to bemoan that it isn’t (I mean not really, right?).  We know better than the 1 million plus people who bought the DVD**.
Call it Jazz Burlesque, Xtina Burlesque, Pop-Burlesque or whatever you like but don’t try and denigrate it.  When you say it’s ‘not burlesque’ and heap scorn on the people who enjoy it you turn them right off.  That’s a huge potential audience you’re excluding.  If they’re looking for bowler hats and jazz hands that’s fine, just because it doesn’t fit our aesthetic doesn’t make it wrong, just different.
There are jazz burlesque classes in nearly every dance studio in Canberra now and you know what?  They’re fun, they’re silly and they are great for improving your choreography if, like me, you aren’t from a dance background. Sure you don’t remove much more than a hat and glove but burlesque is a world of less is more and if even one or two of their students comes to a show, signs up to a workshop or books classes to try another style, that’s one more person we didn’t have before.  Our community is not so large that we can ostracise these people for starting with something that’s ‘not burlesque’.
Welcome them, be excited about their experiences, their viewpoint and share yours with them, who knows you might learn something too.

2/. When clothes stay on

Some of the best burlesque I have seen has involved the removal of absolutely zero clothing.  Before you decry ‘Burlesque is striptease, if you don’t remove clothes (you guessed it) it’s not burlesque!’ I refer you to definition two above, the Follies Begere and Minsky’s!  Performers come to burlesque down all kinds of paths and like life there is no one right way.  As a performer I have learnt so much from performers who come to burlesque via butoh, clowning, absurdism, drag and even power-lifting.  I have learnt about controlling my body, about physical theatre and especially comedy, humour, make up and many other things from these performers, tips and tricks I carry with me and happily share with others.

These performers are an integral part to our community, back in the day these performers may have been called ‘specialty acts’ but they were an integral part of the burlesque theatres in the golden age of burlesque along with the comics who were the original main feature of the burlesque theatres.  Who are we to exclude them now because they don’t take off their clothes?  Sounds a bit silly doesn’t it?

3/. When you don’t like someone’s act.

This is the worst kind of denigration, it is hurtful and dismissive of other people’s efforts.  I have heard it more times than I would like to count and I have to bite my tongue whenever I hear it.  Just because you don’t like something doesn’t make it ‘not burlesque’.  Be honest about why you don’t like it, or the performer, that’s okay, you don’t have to like everyone but to dismiss their efforts out of hand because you don’t like it?  That’s revolting and it says more about you than the performer or performance you are denigrating.

Don’t do it, period.

I suppose what I’m saying is this, burlesque is a lot of things to a lot of people.  To me what appeals is the subversive element of burlesque, watching you, watching me, knowing I know you know etc, playing with archetypes, subverting tropes and challenging perception but if I were to decry everything else as ‘not burlesque’ I would be missing out on a startling array of performances and performers.  I would be poorer for it.  Our community is the same, the more we exclude the poorer we get.  So next time you feel those words fighting for space on your tongue, swallow them, HARD. Replace them with something constructive and share your passion instead of denigrating someone else’s.

*This definition was taken from the Oxford English Dictionary Online.
**Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burlesque_(film)

No comments:

Post a Comment