Thursday 11 October 2012

Frocktober Day 11 - Of hats and things...


Yes my hair was rather lopsided to day....
Today was more than a little busy!  Yesterday was OPENING NIGHT!  The show went fabulously well, off without a hitch and we were sold out.  I finally made it home just past eleven to eat... something and play with the dog who was very glad to see me.
 
Today's emsemble needed to be that little bit more fabulous to hide just how tired I really was after performing; it also needed to be warm and it was rainy and miserable. So I decided to wheel out the Bettie Page Captain Dress (swing) my first ever Darling Sisters purchase and a staple in any retro/vintage wardrobe!  My make up was 40's inspired again as that means less make-up during the day given the incredible amount of make-up I wear on stage while perfroming I thought it would be best to combat make-up fatigue. 
 
My hair was also 40's inspired as well as being lopsided, I had one huge roll on the side which was solid as a rock I'm pleased to say and the remainder rolled up into what I'm going to start calling a 'barrel bun' at the back (Feeling a bit like Glenne Headly in 'Dick Tracy').

Ta - DAAAAA!!!!

Normally I'm not much of a one for severly lopsided hairstyles; I've too much of my father in me for that (It must be symetrical! Symetrical I tells ya!).  However; today I made an exception because for a little extra fabulous I was breaking out my only original vintage hat!  I fell desperately in love with this little number at a vintage fair at the Albert Hall and I had yet to wear it out.

The full ensemble! & and windmill;
what more could you want?

I added a couple of final touches to the outfit; my Rock Steady cardigan for warmth, faux seamed stocking, high heeled brogues (although they're black not brown Chap magazine would be disappointed in me) and - shockingly - miss-matched earrings.

I'd been thinking about a lovely friend of mine Veronica Bloom who is famous for her beautiful hula dancing when I found this little treasue in my jewellery box:

Isn't she darling?

My parents brought her home to me from Hawaii and yes she was originally part of a set.  She's articulated and dances the hula from your ears!  I paired her with a silver pineapple that my parents also brought me from Hawaii!

So ready to face the wolrd I headed out to work; the day was busy which made it go quickly and the suddenly it was time to meet one of my fellow cast members for coffee.  I headed into town to discover  one of my favourite stores 'Moments' in seach of white leather gloves only to discover it hasn't had it's lease renewed and is closing!  I did however have a lovely chat with the proprieter who assures me they are trying to find new premises so I shall keep my - metaphorical - fingers crossed for them.

Selfies in the dressing room mirror.

Ah yes, coffee, well it was raining and the cafe was closed so it didn't really eventuate. Instead I headed to the nice warm theatre to get prepared for the show and defrost!




No comments:

Post a Comment