Thursday 4 October 2012

Frocktober Day 4 - The Beige Shoe Society


Lunchtime shenanigans by the lake
 Today it was the 40's again ( love the silhouette of 40's hair and it's so easy to do, none of the setting and brushing out of 50's styles) and due to uncooperative hair this morning it was time to break out the snood!  I mentioned before that I make my own snoods from a fabulous 40's pattern the 'Perky Snood' this turns out a much more traditional silhouette than the modern snoods you buy today and won't hang loose if you only have fine or short hair.


You can see the library!
 Some fellow Frockettes and I (see one of their blogs here) stopped by the lake for some photographic evidence!  Shenanigans ensued.  I apologise but who can see a great pole labelled 'Lake' and not want to pose on it?


The Beige Shoe Society!
My fellow frockettes and I also noticed that we were all wearing shoes in differing shade of beige from my light bone to a burnished snakeskin stylishly sported by Aligator. I felt it noteworthy so it was photogaphed for posterity (as opposed to posterior).

Details in the outfit today are limited, as previously mention my hair was being uncooperative so it was in faux victory rolls and a snood (if you want to know what 'faux' victory rolls are check out this YouTube tutorial).  I wore my poppy again to complement my wonderful 40's dance dress from 'Unique Vintage'.  I love the puffed sholders and super square silhouette!


Thanks Mum!
Jewellery today is from my mother! A vintage piece of costume jewellery in man-made pearls and rhinestones, this piece is so pretty and feminine and adds a beautiful vintage touch to any outfit.

I also wore my new shoes (replacements for the ones that died on day 2). Betts bone pumps in patent leather, it was so difficult to find a pair with a round toe! Pointy witch toes not such a vintage look... However I found these and I love the little 'v' detailing, such a nice touch. 




caught on camera in... TROUSERS! Shocking!
When I got home this evening (I went to a pole dance class of all things!) I was tired and copped out in  apair of 50's capris and a cardi, shocking I know. So too make up for it (and also because I negelected to make my beloved dinner and he had to eat frozen Tikka Masala) I decided to make bacon turnovers for tomorrow's lunch.










Bacon Turnovers!



This is another recipe from 'We'll Eat Again'.  Recommended by the ministry of food for those people who were heartilly fed-up with sandwiches but still needed and easily portable lunch.  Vaguely reminiscent of a cornish pasty.

 

 

 

Ingredients:

Pastry:


More spuds, Bloss's favourite.
 300(ish)g self-raising flour (I used GF)
70(ish)g cooking fat (I had left over beef dripping, mmm tasty)
Water

Filling:

100(ish)g fat bacon rashers
Spring onoions (not being Welsh, I had no leeks)
200(ish)g chopped diced potatoes
2 tbsp chopped parsley.

The Ministry of Food Says:
"Don't forget your greens,
they provide vital vitamins and
minerals for strength!"

Mmmmm delicious dripping...

Make Turnovers:

 Rub fat into flour and add water to bind, knead resulting pastry and set aside.

Mix your filling ingredients together.

Roll out pastry and cut out rounds, the recipe says four I made six smaller pasties so they would last longer... possibly. 

Cooking away, yes, still in
TROUSERS


Mmmm, delicous filling, reminiscent
of potato salad sans Mayo...
Elegantly place your filling in your pastry round folding them in half and sealing them, thus creating the much coveted 'turnover' shape.  Bake in a moderate over for 25(ish) minutes.

Take for lunch tomorrow or eat for supper with a fortifying cup of tea (or glass of gin).






Well... they look totally worth the effort, tomorrow I shall
eat them and find out...


1 comment:

  1. I think your first photo needs to be your FB profile pic haha it's epic! You look amazing Penny <3

    ReplyDelete