Wednesday 3 October 2012

Frocktober Day 3 - The Great Canberra Omnibus


Can you tell I have a dog?

Look I did the back!
Today was the 40's again but I actually did the back of my hair rather than cheating with a snood.  After pining my victory rolls in the front; I rolled the back of it up into a barrel in four sections to complete the 40's silhouette I was aiming for!  It could have been neater but for some reason doing the back of one's head proved to be quite challenging!

Given the salior style dress (my first genuine retro purchase and a frock I adore!) I though that a poppy for remembrance was an appropriate flower for the day.  So with a swipe of regimental red lipstick (Yes there were uniform lipsticks in the 40's and they were RED!) I was ready for whatever the day threw at me.

An antique? That's well
vintage that is.

 I accesorised today with my fravourite piece of jewellery. My grandmother's locket.  This piece is an antique and I don't care I wear it anyway.  My grandmother had a photograph of her great-grandmother wearing it as a little girl!  It has come down the female line to me and I am incredibly grateful to have it.  Last time I wore it to a vintage fair someone tried to buy it of me and I nearly bit their fingers.  (At the same fair I bought a wonderful 40's hat that goes with this frock, I will wear it later in the month! Hats and victory rolls = not always compatible)

It's subtle...
No one will notice
... right?

It was good that I felt prepared for anything to because at lunh time a disaster struck!  While crouching to take a photograph for colleague also frocking it for the cause my black nylons laddred from toe to welt! I had a quiz to host! I couldn't cope with the giant ladder so there was post work rush to Myer to pick up an emergency pair of 'Vintage Mesh' stockings by Leona Edmiston.  After wearing nylons, elasticated stockings are horridly uncomfortable and they FALL DOWN nylons all the way particularly if you're a tall girl like me! (Sorry Leona I have new love now...xxx)

So next it;s off to quiz, unlike my colleagues my quiz regulars have seen me do Frocktober before so no great surprises there.  Quite a few comments; "You look like my mother/grandmother at your age", "Very glamourous","Very Imelda May" (<-I liked that one) etc.

I also realised I forget to add the why!
Raising money for the OCRF!

Last year I had many enquiries from my quiz contestants about what I was doing, why, where they could see more and how they could donate so I made up these little cards to give out to save me writing it down repeatedly.  Hopefully it directs a few people to our efforts!  If it has comment! We'd love to hear from you!

Quiz went swimmingly, everyone had a lovely time as usual and the jackpot was finally won, by three teams! 


Travelling in style.
 Then it when it was time to head home.  I remained true to my comitment to rationing of all things; food, money and fuel!  I travelled in inimitable style aboard the Great Canberra Omnibus (nothing to do with not having a licence I swear!)

Keep frocking!
Love and Sparkles, Ivy x

Here is a picture of the fairy light tree,
for no other reason than fairy lights make me happy



No comments:

Post a Comment