Tuesday 2 October 2012

Frocktober Day 2, cooking WWII style!


 
Instagram, how I love your filters!

 Well, day 2 was an adventure, my first day back at work in my vintage stylings and even though I had forewarned my colleagues my new look was greeted with much surprise!

You can see the detail in my hair in this photo but it nicely highlights my new red lipstick!  IT's beautiful 'Vesuvio' ultra matte by NARS (and it's gluten-free!)

 Today's ensemble was 40's inspired and after a minor wardrobe malfunction (the shank broke in one of my shoes!) it was all sorted!

 
Heading out to buy supplies!

Today I am wearing the Joelene dress by Heartbreaker, a lovley 40's cotton day dress with a fabulous pattern that is easy to dress up or down.

I've decided to call this hair style 'Proud Mary', it is essentially three victory rolls (I'm defining victory rolls as 'a large hollow standing up roll' as per 'Vintage Hairstyling' Buy it love it!) on top oof my head with the remainder of my hair pinned into a snood.  I make my own for an original 40's pattern so I have quite a number expect to see more of them throughout the month.

Rollin' rollin' rollin


 I pinned a coral coloured flower behing one of the less pefect rolls to disguise it's imperfections.

Of course I wore proper nylons!  An absolute luxury in the 40's but I am not painting my legs with gravy browning as much as my dog would love it!

My glasses are more 50's but I love them so I shall wear them, also seeing is good.

I also accesoried with a little wooden brooch I have been dying to take for an outing!  Isn't it the cutest thing?  The pendant is a mesapotamian rolling seal at 2000+ years old I figured it was well in period! 






Ivy's 40's Dinner Adventure!


Fascinating read!


Tonight's meal was from this cookbook generously provided by my friend and fellow foodaphile Christopher.


I decided to make baked fishcakes. I've metricised (new word!) the measurements for you!

Ingredients:

100g Salt Cod
400g Potato (mashed, NO MILK)
2 large Carrots (mashed)
1 tsp sweet herbs (I used dill and oregano, it was in the cupboard)
1 dessertspoon wostershire sauce (I used soy and oyster for GF alternatives)
Breadcrumbs (mine were GF)


This is the ration for FOUR people


Salt cod was plentiful and reasonably cheap in britain during the war and I love it even now so I was quite happy to experiment with it until I saw this.  It's not until you look at it that you realise how small the rationed portions were.  Tonight we cooked 1 1/2 meat&fish rations for a family of four. 100g of salt cod and 4 rashes of bacon...

So you boil the fish to cook it making the water a delightful yellow colour in the process.  Then you take it and mix it into the mashed carrot and potato with the herbs and sauce and you get the very appetising looking saucepan of stuff below.

 
Potato and carrot mash, appetising...

This you then roll into balls, roll in breadcrumbs and bake in a moderate oven for 20 minutes.

Bacon and cabbage, mmm... (surprisingly tasty)

 
Tasty and delicious fishcakes for all!

It needed a sidedish so I went with an old classic, Cabbage and Bacon! (This was to convince My Better Half (MBH) to eat said cabbage)

So after this adventure our final meal for the evening looked like this:
Tasy 40's dinner... looks small dunnit?



Fishcakes and cabbage anyone?

Next time I think I'll try Corned Beef rissoles...  now to convince MBH...

See you all tomorrow, keep (f)rocking!

Love and Sparkles,
Ivy!



No comments:

Post a Comment